World Vegan Month is celebrated around the world as a time to acknowledge how far the vegan movement has come, to highlight how available and beneficial a vegan lifestyle can be, and to inspire the vegan-curious to adopt a plant-based lifestyle by sharing advice, recipes, ideas and stories.
Why Go Vegan?
Protect the Planet
The impact of animal agriculture is alarming. From crops and water to feed the animals to the pollutants from animal waste, factory farming is one of the largest producers of carbon emissions that are deeply impacting our climate. The production of plant-based foods is a more efficient use of our resources, reducing energy consumption and conserving water. It also requires less land, helping to reduce deforestation.
A vegan will produce 50% less carbon dioxide than a meat-eater, and will save 7,300 lbs of Co2 every year. These changes made by a single person, have the opportunity to create a huge impact on our planet. By choosing plant-based foods, you can effectively reduce your carbon footprint each and every day.
Individuals who stick to a well-balanced vegan diet are known to have more energy throughout the day. Plant-based proteins are easily digestible and packed with energizing properties that can make you feel more active and alert. If you are someone who has a difficult time sleeping, you may want to consider switching to a vegan, or plant-based diet.
Consuming foods such as bananas, kale, cashew butter and almonds are also proven to ensure a healthy sleep cycle as a result of naturally occurring vitamin B6, tryptophan and magnesium.
All animals should have the right to life and freedom, and deserve to be treated with compassion and respect. By avoiding animal products, such as meat, dairy, eggs, and even honey, the average vegan saves the lives of approximately 200 animals each year.
More than 9 billion farm animals are used for food every year in the U.S. alone. On top of that, over 115 million animals are currently used in laboratory experiments, testing food items and cosmetics. When you purchase cruelty-free products you are not only sparing the lives of innocent animals, but you are standing up for an incredible cause as well.
Supporting animal sanctuaries, like a Farm Sanctuary, is another way to support farm animals. These organizations bring awareness about the abuses factory farm animals suffer and work to combat these through recuse, education and advocacy efforts. Help end animal cruelty and create a healthier, more compassionate world.
GoMacro Lives a Plant-Based Lifestyle
Here at GoMacro, we live a balanced, plant-based lifestyle. As one of our core principles, going vegan allows us to feel good about what we eat, how it tastes, and how it sustains the environment. We are here to support your goal to go vegan and have included a list of some of our favorite easy tips to help start your plant-based journey below.
8 Tips for Going Vegan:
1. Start Small Don’t rush it. Gradually start eliminating meat and dairy one meal at a time. Why not start by swapping your morning coffee creamer with a non-dairy alternative such as almond or coconut milk?
2. Try New Things Find your favorite plant-based alternatives by experiencing new foods. Have you tried Jackfruit as meat substitute? We love marinating it in a low sugar BBQ sauce, paired with brown rice and steamed veggies!
3. Remember Why Remind yourself why you’ve chosen to go vegan and the health benefits that come with it. Try writing a list of ‘whys’ and taping it to your bathroom mirror for an easy daily reminder.
4. Make Veggies the Star Veggie-packed meals are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber to keep you satisfied longer. Thankfully, there are many incredible plant-based guides and cookbooks, such as The Forest Feast, to help get your creative juices flowing in the kitchen!
5. Eat Well Eat balanced meals full of nutrient-rich, plant-based ingredients. Vegans can often run low on vitamins B-12 & D so be sure to look into potentially supplementing certain vitamins and minerals as well.
6. It’s Not a Diet Don't think of it as a diet, it's a shift to a balanced, plant-based lifestyle.
7. Shop Local Farmers markets are full of locally grown organic fruits and veggies. Check out www.localharvest.org to find local farmers markets, CSA’s, events and more!
8. Find Support Ask for tips and seek advice from people who are going through the same journey. Social Media is a great way to connect with like-minded individuals, try exploring #vegan and #vegansofinstagram for plant-based inspiration.