Vegan Lentil Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 55 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Whether you're a vegan or just trying to work more meatless meals into your diet, you'll definitely want to add this savory soup to your dinner rotation.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 32-ounces Vegetable Broth
- 1 White Onion, minced
- 2 Celery Stalks, minced
- 2 Carrots, sliced to ¼ inch thick coins
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Anise Seed
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups French Lentils
- 1 Large Zucchini, chopped
- 28-ounce can Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained
- 8 Lacinato Kale Stalks, washed and separated from its spine
1. Add a ¼ cup of olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat and add in minced onion, carrots and celery. Keep the vegetables moving in the pan until the onion becomes translucent and before anything starts to brown.
2. Move your sauteed vegetables to a large soup pot along with about ½ of your broth, dried spices, vinegar, lemon juice, coconut aminos, and minced garlic. Keep the soup on medium heat.
3. Next add in your lentils and bring the soup to a low boil for about 10 minutes. Add in more vegetable broth if needed to fully hydrate your ingredients.
4. Reduce the temper to a simmer and add in your remaining vegetables. Let the soup simmer until lentils are cooked through but not too soft. (30-45 minutes) Add in your remaining broth to your liking, preventing the soup form getting too thick and keep the rest to rehydrate as needed.
5. Serve with a sprig of cilantro, sliced jalapeños, or a dash of red pepper flakes.