Vegan Chocolate Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
Fluffy, decadent, and delicious, this chocolate cake will melt in your mouth!
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Unbleached White Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder*, *If using Dutch process cocoa, use 1/2 tsp less baking soda
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 cup Walnut Oil
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Vanilla Soymilk
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp Balsamic or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Oil two 9-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.
3. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl: flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa and maple sugar. Stir with a wire whisk to mix.
4. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients with a wire whisk until foamy: oil, maple syrup, soymilk, water, vinegar and extracts.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly until the batter is smooth. Don’t panic, this batter is very thin.
6. Pour batter into pans, dividing evenly. Bake on center rack of preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until center of cake springs back when lightly touched and a cake tester inserted into center of cake removes clean.
7. Cool cake layers in pans on wire cooling racks for 10 mins.
8. Use a dinner knife to release cakes from sides of pans. Turn layers out of pans directly onto racks, cool completely.
9. Wrap layers tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate before assembling the cake. This cake freezes very well.
10. Cake can be removed from freezer and cut both layers while frozen horizontally creating a four layer cake. This makes it richer and more festive.