Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Bananas
- Caramel Sauce or Dulce de Leche
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 cup Sugar, reduced to 1/2 for less sweet, vanilla pastry cream
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch, vanilla pastry cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt, vanilla pastry cream
- 3 cups Plant-based Milk, vanilla pastry cream
- 2 Eggs, vanilla pastry cream
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter, vanilla pastry cream
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract, or 2 tsp vanilla extract + 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, vanilla pastry cream
- 3 - 4 MacroBars, crumble
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter, melted, crumble
1. For the vanilla pastry cream, in a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork to combine. Set aside.
2. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually pour in milk, while whisking, to make a smooth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Continue to cook and stir one minute.
3. Pour several tablespoons of the hot mixture into the bowl with the eggs and immediately stir well. Pour warmed egg mixture into the pan with the rest of the hot milk mixture. Return to a slow boil, and cook one minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Set aside to cool. When the pan has cooled, place in the refrigerator to fully cool. If desired, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the top surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming.
5. For the crumble, crush the MacroBars at the bottom of your serving dish. Pour crumbs, sugar and melted butter into a bowl and , stir until fully combined. Pour into a 9"x13" casserole dish and press into a even layer.
6. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of crumble into individual serving dishes. Use a small glass to press the crumble into a firm layer.
7. Add a layer of pastry cream into each dish. For easy assembly, fill a large ziplock type bag with the pastry cream, snip off the end and fill the dishes from this bag.
8. Add a few slices of banana and top with a layer of whipped cream.
9. Add some crumble and a drizzle of caramel (scoop caramel or dulce de leche into a small zip lock bag and snip off the end for easy application).
10. Repeat layers 2-5.
11. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 hours. Top with a slice of fresh banana just before serving.