Position: Senior Food Scientist
Reports To: Quality Manager
Purpose: The Senior Food Scientist will be expected to provide technical expertise in the development of nutritious, plant-based snacks. This position will design and implement research and experiments resulting in new and improved products, cost savings and unique technologies providing business advantages.
This role relates to a wide range of technical skills and many non-technical company functions. A successful candidate will apply scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, quality control, packaging, processing, and utilization of foods by performing the following duties:
- Coordinate product development through all stages of development; concept to bench-top prototype development, pilot plant and full-scale manufacture.
- Design and execute all stages of product development by conducting pilot plant trials on-site or at external facilities and formula commissioning at full-scale manufacturing, which includes scale-up of prototypes and subsequent trials to support introduction of new products and /or product renovations.
- Maintain written technical documentation and product and process specifications as pertaining.
- Review and document raw ingredients, formulations, and final product specifications to maintain accurate records and to ensure compliance with GoMacro standards.
- Assist in the preparation, submission, and interactions with FDA regulatory & legal review of all current and new products to ensure compliance.
- Organize and direct sample development for sales presentations, consumer testing and shelf life trials.
- Develop nutrition labels in compliance with all applicable regulatory standards by utilizing Genesis (ESHA) software.
- Consult and provide direction to internal customers (i.e. Purchasing/Marketing/Production/Quality) by communicating information for product improvements and/or cost savings initiatives.
- Conduct assessment of problematic product issues and work as part of a team to resolve the technical problems and execute the development/modification of products.
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Prepare and present technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and occasionally to management with business and scientific clarity.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science or related field required
- Master’s degree in food science or related field preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in CPG field preferred
- 4-8 years’ experience in product development preferred
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents
- Experience submitting and interacting with FDA regulatory & legal reviews to ensure compliance as well as to protect from unwarranted or unfounded legal claims
- Ability to effectively present information
- Ability to work with minimal to no supervision
- Strong computer skills are necessary
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to create and update nutrition labels in compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Proactive, self-driven, results and action oriented, demonstrating passion, strong teamwork spirit, open mind, and flexibility.
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
GoMacro, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.